Can't connect to a w95 machine: Error 1311

Thomas Hansen thomas at cmu.eca.usp.br
Thu Sep 28 15:02:16 GMT 2000

Hi, my name is Thomas Hansen, and I'm new to this list.

I've configurated Samba 2.0.4b no my Linux server(RH 6.2). I've got a small
sub-network of 5 W95 machines (brahms, mozart, kodaly, copland and
villa-lobos.eca.usp.br) and the Linux Server (bach.cmu.eca.usp.br).
The Workgroup is MUSICA. BACH is configured as WINS server, security level is
set to user, with plain-text passwords (no encryption). Netbios name is set to
cmu.eca.usp.br. BACH authenticates user logons on all machines, and all machines
can access the shares on the server. All these things work perfectly.

The problems:

1 - When I try to create a share on W95 machines, it asks me to choose the users
who will have permission to access it. When I click on the "Add" button,
however, it answers me: "It isn't possible to see the users list at this moment.
Try again later".

2 - When  I try to connect to a W95 machine the linux server (with smbclient),
it answers:

# smbclient //mozart/c
Added interface ip=143.107.985.90 bcast=143.107.95.255 nmask=255.255.254.0
Password:
session setup failed: ERRDOS - 1311

If I try to connect to a W95 machine from another, the answer is:
"
 \\Copland is not accessible.

There isn't any server available to start the logon request.
"

Finally, if I try to connect to a W95 from another, with the NET command:
"
C:\> net view \\copland

Error # 1311:
There isn't any server available to receive the logon request.
"

The only thing that works from the server to the W95 machines is the smbclient
-L command, which returns me the name of the shares configured on the W95
machines. Any try to connect to these shares, both from smb machines and w95
ones, doen't work.

Could anybody help me? I'm attaching my smb.conf file, in case it helps...

Thanks,

Thomas H.

This mail sent through IMP: www.cmu.eca.usp.br