Samba 2.0.7 Sol 251: nmbd and smbd - start/stop independently?

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Sep 27 12:56:40 GMT 2000

dennis said:
> Does anyone know of problems with starting/stopping nmbd and smbd
> independently of each other?
>
> I need to stop smbd, to ensure that users are not accessing shares,
> while I do a backup of the file system, but I need to continue running
> nmbd to provide WINS services.

I have done this (separate start & stop scripts) and have done what you ask
about - stop & start smbd independantly of nmbd without ill effect.
In my case to put in different version of smbd.  If you are relatively
prompt the clients will reconnect and people will notice little effect
as I imaging NT clients are used to the server going down :-)

| Peter Polkinghorne, Computer Centre, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH,|
| Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk   +44 1895 274000 x2561       UK          |