smbpasswd -j <domain> -r <pdc> won't work for me!

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Wed Sep 27 00:36:24 GMT 2000

--On 09/27/00 02:12:09 AM +0200 Urban Widmark <urban at svenskatest.se>
wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Rob Tanner wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid my NT guy can't tell me any more than it's complaining
>> that  there's no trust account for my machine, but that's what I'm
>> supposedly  trying to set up.
>>
>> The pertinent numbers are NT4 service pack 6 on the Microsoft side,
>> and  rh 6.2 and Samba 2.0.7 on the LINUX side.
>>
>> Can anybody tell me what is actually happening here?
>
> Have you read samba-2.0.7/docs/textdocs/DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt?
> Have you read and followed the first sentence in that text?
>
> It always works for me when I do that. But I don't know what any of
> those error messages mean so maybe you have found something else.

Yup!  And everything is set up.  The is a /usr/local/samba/private
directory.  The samba.conf file is configured almost identically to
another samba box running on solaris 7 that is a full participant in
the domain I'm trying to get the LINUX box into.  And all the daemons
are stopped.  Unfortunately, DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt doesn't provide any
trouble-shooting tips, so there I am.

Other diffs between the Solaris that works and the LINUX that doesn't.
The Solaris box is in a different physical segment than the PDC.  The
LINUX box is in the same segment.  The Solaris box is SPARC
architecture, the LINUX box is i586. The solaris box is running Samba
version 2.0.6 and the LINUX box is running 2.0.7.  I can't imagine that
any of those differences are significant with regard to the problem,
but then I'm at a loss to understand the problem.

I still need help!

Thanks,
Rob

       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  UNIX and Networks Manager
  Linfield College, McMinnville OR
  (503) 434-2558 <rtanner at linfield.edu>