Samba Dropping Mounts - "Broken Pipe" msgs

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Mon Sep 25 18:02:56 GMT 2000

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 auto852 at hushmail.com wrote:

> Yikes, I've never compiled a kernel before and in this case (from what I
> could see) it requires compiling pre-patch-2.2.17-20 (required for) then
> pre-patch-2.2.18-10 (was the latest I could see) by someone named alan.

The "someone named alan" is Alan Cox and he is the maintainer for the 2.2
kernel series and gets to decide what goes in and not.

You don't have to compile 2.2.17pre20 (which is the same as 2.2.17), you
only have to patch it with pre-patch-2.2.18-10 and compile that.

> Can those kernels be trusted? And any pointers towards information for how
> I would go about compiling a new kernel without messing up my existing one?

You should of course not experiment on your production machines. One
problem may be if the kernel you normally run has extra patches not
included in the standard kernels and you depend on those changes.

The pre versions are "steps" from one kernel version to another and
the reason for doing them is to get testing before calling it 2.2.18, so
they may be seen as less safe than a 2.2.x version.

More info:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

You probably want to copy the bzImage to a floppy (cp bzImage /dev/fd0)
and boot from that floppy.

/Urban