Printing problem - I have the same problem...

Christian Günsel guensel at zentraldata.de
Mon Sep 25 17:06:29 GMT 2000

>... I examined the spool directory for the printer and
> noticed that some of the spool filenames are considerably more descriptive than
> I remember them being under the old verion of samba.  Jobs from Microsoft Word
> (which are the ones I seem to be having problems with) actually include the
> filename of the document that was printed.  However, these descriptive spool
> file names appear to have no way of insuring uniqueness, such that if the same
> document were to be printed again before the spool file was deleted, the spool
> file would be overwritten.

Hi,
I posted a similar problem description some weeks ago (considering the
missing
uniqueness of names of spooled files).
I don't know, it seems that nobody cares about it, but of course it is a
serious
problem. Filenames like 'MicrosoftWord-Dokument1' are far from being
unique...
Even if you move the file away immediately in the printing command
script, it is
still possible to mix up files by overwriting.
Surely, there is a mechanism of insuring uniqueness, I sometimes got
filenames
like ADMINISTRA.2ygSF3, which seems to be created by mkstemp(). That was
from
a win98 box...
I cannot believe that this is a configuration issue, because uniqueness
of
spooling file names should be guaranteed in *any* configuration,
shouldn't it?

Maybe there is another bug-report-mail-address for posting that problem
again?

Thank you very much for any hints...
Christian Guensel

--

Christian Günsel, Zentraldata-GmbH Leipzig
guensel at zentraldata.de
Tel.: 0341/1285041