Samba and default router

Loic Mahe' mahe at twam.com
Mon Sep 25 12:28:10 GMT 2000

Hello,

I submit this problem :

I have a local network connected to the ISP through
a Nexland Internet Sharing Box. On each machine, I have
to set the default route (=> IP adress of the sharing box) and
also provide the DNS adresses.

Next, consider a Win95 (machine A) having a permanent
connection to a printer located on another Win95 (machine B).
If machine A starts while machine B is not alive, machine A
makes a DNS lookup to find machine B. I watched this with
tcpdump :
13:18:50.402972 machineA.netbios-ns > ISPprimaryDNS.domain : 48+ A? machineB (34)
This triggers the modem located on the sharing box. Bad thing ! :-(

My question is : can a Samba server help avoiding this problem
(wins server, /etc/hosts including machine A and machine B, ...) ?

Thanks in advance

Loic, Toulouse/France