Samba Dropping Mounts - "Broken Pipe" msgs

auto852 at hushmail.com auto852 at hushmail.com
Mon Sep 25 06:31:05 GMT 2000

At Sun, 24 Sep 2000 20:52:43 +0200 (MET DST), Urban Widmark <urban at svenskatest.se>
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 auto852 at hushmail.com wrote:
>
>> After updating the kernel I get really nice and simple error messages:
>>
>> kernel: smb_retry: caught signal
>> kernel: smb_retry: caught signal
>> kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
>> last message repeated 4 times
>> last message repeated 6 times
>> last message repeated 3 times
>>
>> and one more glitch has occured since upgrading the kernel to 2.2.16-
>3....
>> which hadn't occured previously...
>
>The "smb_retry: caught signal" problem should no longer occur in
>2.2.18pre3 or so. You will probably not find a RedHat rpm for kernel
>pre
>versions so you may have to compile your own.

Yikes, I've never compiled a kernel before and in this case (from what I
could see) it requires compiling pre-patch-2.2.17-20 (required for) then
pre-patch-2.2.18-10 (was the latest I could see) by someone named alan.
I've been a tech for over 6yrs and I've only just begun to learn linux.
(slap me silly). :)
Can those kernels be trusted? And any pointers towards information for how
I would go about compiling a new kernel without messing up my existing one?
(I understand LILO so that's cool but I can't afford to have the (production)
server go down on me even for even a minute). I know it's a little off topic
and I might be asking for too much but maybe if you could message me privately
or something if it's not too much trouble? (as my right-hand helper has
just gone on vacation for a week. (I promise not to harass you) hehe  Oh
how I wish there was a simple fix ;)

thnx again.