smbfs does not report all files

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sun Sep 24 18:45:17 GMT 2000

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 mail at fwr.on.ca wrote:

> Oh! There's a lot of message pairs like this :
>
> kernel: smb_receive_trans2: copied, parms=4079 of 4079, data=220 of 4079
> kernel: smb_receive_trans2: copied, parms=4079 of 4079, data=4079 of 4079
>
> Since they didn't say anything like "ERROR", I was ignoring them. Could that
> "data=220 of 4079" have anything to do with the missing files?

They are not error messages, just informational that it used an unusual
code path. The server didn't respond with a single message, it sent 2
messages that the smbfs "sock" code had to merge (note that this is all
tcp so there really is no reason to send a response as 2 messages).

I have never managed to get this message and it may very well be that
there are bugs here. Since you only get this on large shares, even likely
(only when it has to split a message in 2 sends).

Do you get any other smb_ messages? You should get something from the
directory parsing code.

If not I'll try to make a patch for you that adds some debugging for the
case when the "fast track" doesn't work and some debugging in the
directory parsing. Any favourite kernel version?

/Urban