Loosing Mounts .. kernel: smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL error

auto852 at hushmail.com auto852 at hushmail.com
Sun Sep 24 08:02:16 GMT 2000

Peter, I and many others I believe are having the same problem...check out
the message below from Urban from an earlier post...and let us know how
you go.

the kernel updates mentioned below are at:

ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/
or try the mirror within the site
I grabbed the updates myself today but haven't attempted to recompile as
of yet
you'll need pre-patch-2.2.17-20 before going to pre-patch-2.2.18-10 (which
is the latest I could see) I believe.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 auto852 at hushmail.com wrote:

> Has anyone experienced Samba dropping mounts? (NT shares).

Everyone using smbfs I believe ...

> again. But after an undetermined amount of time Samba just drops them
again
> and I have to remount them again. Does anyone know of a fix to this problem
> (with the latest version)?

I can right now remember 2 ways to get this.

1. If the server is down while someone is accessing the smbfs mount
   smbmount will terminate. Apply one of the "fixes" patches
       http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html

2. There is a signal related problem that will kill smbmount in some
   versions of the kernel. Upgrade to 2.2.18-preX or 2.4.0-test8 or later,
   those versions contain a workaround. If this is your problem you should
   get messages like this in your kernel log:
       smb_retry: caught signal

If this does not match/work, come back with kernel version and kernel
logs from when a mount stops working.

/Urban