smbfs does not report all files

mail at fwr.on.ca mail at fwr.on.ca
Sat Sep 23 19:45:37 GMT 2000

** Reply to message from Urban Widmark <urban at svenskatest.se> on Wed, 20 Sep
2000 11:22:44 +0200 (CEST)

>18pre9 is in the /pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.2.18pre directory.

OK, downloaded the 2.2.17 kernel, patched it to 18pre9, compiled it to floppy
and re-booted from floppy. Unfortunately the smbfs problem is still there. It
just doesn't want to read all the files on large shared directories from our
OS2 (Warp4) server.

>> >Do you get any messages in your syslog files?
>> Not that I can tell...
>Hmm, you should have a few starting with smb_ (dmesg and /var/log/messages)

Oh! There's a lot of message pairs like this :

kernel: smb_receive_trans2: copied, parms=4079 of 4079, data=220 of 4079
kernel: smb_receive_trans2: copied, parms=4079 of 4079, data=4079 of 4079

Since they didn't say anything like "ERROR", I was ignoring them. Could that
"data=220 of 4079" have anything to do with the missing files?

Anyway, the kernel recompile went reasonably well, so if there's any new smbfs
beta code that might help, I'm more than willing to give it a try.

Thanks
Bruce.