Samba Dropping Mounts - "Broken Pipe" msgs

auto852 at hushmail.com auto852 at hushmail.com
Sat Sep 23 09:02:00 GMT 2000

Urban, thnx for your reply.  At the time of original post I was running
kernel-2.2.14-5.0 and since recieving your reply I updated the kernel to
the latest one I could find for Redhat which was
kernel-2.2.16-3.i586....more below....

At Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:51:54 +0200 (CEST), Urban Widmark <urban at svenskatest.se>
wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 auto852 at hushmail.com wrote:
>
>> Has anyone experienced Samba dropping mounts? (NT shares).
>
>Everyone using smbfs I believe ...
>
>> again. But after an undetermined amount of time Samba just drops them
>again
>> and I have to remount them again. Does anyone know of a fix to this
>problem
>> (with the latest version)?
>
>I can right now remember 2 ways to get this.
>
>1. If the server is down while someone is accessing the smbfs mount
>   smbmount will terminate. Apply one of the "fixes" patches
>       http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html
>
>2. There is a signal related problem that will kill smbmount in some
>   versions of the kernel. Upgrade to 2.2.18-preX or 2.4.0-test8 or
>later,

>   those versions contain a workaround. If this is your problem you
>should
>   get messages like this in your kernel log:
>       smb_retry: caught signal
>If this does not match/work, come back with kernel version and kernel
>logs from when a mount stops working.
>
>/Urban

Yep it's number two.... smb_retry : caught signal was the message I was
getting in the logs:

smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting invalid
smb_retry: new pid=21569, generation=2
smb_retry: caught signal
smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
last message repeated 8 times
last message repeated 8 times
last message repeated 11 times

-multiple entries of course and a different pid number with each entry and
the generation number increases.

After updating the kernel I get really nice and simple error messages:

kernel: smb_retry: caught signal
kernel: smb_retry: caught signal
kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
last message repeated 4 times
last message repeated 6 times
last message repeated 3 times

and one more glitch has occured since upgrading the kernel to 2.2.16-3....
which hadn't occured previously...

now... on each reboot (during shutdown process) the system hangs while attempting
to unmount the filesystem, so I have had to hard reset the system on each
reboot.

(Still running samba-2.0.7-4.i386 )

Any ideas? Suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx