Samba 2.0.7 Bug on HP-UX 10.20

Boyack, Kurt Kurt.Boyack at pyxis.com
Fri Sep 22 02:08:05 GMT 2000

We have a system with three shares. One is available to users in the "bcs"
group (many), and the other two are available to users in the bcsadmin group
(few).  Recently, we noticed that any user on the system has full read/write
access to all shares.  The UNIX permissions are correct (see attached).

By changing the owner and group, I was able to revoke access, but it was not
logical. It seems that samba decides at random, and it does not matter what
the actual permissions are. In the end, I put all ownerships and permissions
back to the way they were, and they worked as expected.

Note that we are running samba on two identical HP-UX 10.20 servers. The
bcsadmin shares come from a filesystem that is local on one, but NFS mounted
on the other.  The smb.conf files are identical (as possible), but at times
I could map shares from one server, but not the other.

We have samba running on a lot of servers here, but these two are the only
ones running on HP-UX 10.20, and the only ones running 2.0.7, and the only
ones having this problem. We have many versions spread across Solaris,
Digital (Tru64), and HP-UX 10.01; they are all older than 2.0.7.

Please help me fix this problem before any of our NT administrators find out
about it. :)