can samba be an NT domain server for Win2k clients?

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 14:16:49 GMT 2000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > The current Samba version (2.0.7) works okay for file and printer
> > sharing, but isn't able act as a domain logon server for W2K clients
> > yet.
>
> I see. Thanks. Is there any beta code?

The required DCE/RPC functions are implemented and functional in the
Samba TNG developement branch, but this code needs to identified and
ported into the HEAD and/or SAMBA_2_2 branch[1] if there is to be a
stable Samba release which is both a solid file server and a W2K domain
logon server.

I (probably rather foolishly!) offered to look into doing this last
week. I'm still learning my way around the various code trees at the
moment, and I've made very little progress so far.

[1] By way of orientation - there are three or four different branches
of interest in the Samba CVS repository:

HEAD. This is the main development branch, which will eventually evolve
into Samba 3.

TNG. This is experimental branch where Luke Leighton and others have
been working on NT Domains. There are no stable releases on this branch,
though a few "alpha" snapshots have been made. It has developed into a
working domain controller but isn't recommended for use as a file
server.

SAMBA_2_2. This branch has just been forked off the HEAD branch, and
will be used to formulate the next release, Samba 2.2.0 (and presumably
and 2.2.x releases which follow).

SAMBA_2_0. This branch forked off the head branch several years ago, and
is where the Samba 2.0.0 through 2.0.7 came from. I don't think that
there is any further development here.

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology