Dreaded "Not Authorized" ....

Peter Charbonneau Peter.Charbonneau at williams.edu
Thu Sep 21 12:53:35 GMT 2000

list gurus ...

  I have read the list archives from last December until now.  I have followed
all of the
advice given in those files to get past the "The account is not authorized to
login from
this station" error message.  I get this error message ONLY from the NT stations
on
my network; the 98 boxes do not have this problem.  I have also read Chapter 6
of
the O'Reilly book a couple of times to ensure that I understand the
authentication
methods.

  I have Samba version 2.0.7 running on a Solaris 7 box.  My smb.conf file
follows
at the end of this message.

  I have 3 different machines I am using to test this, a 95 box, a 98 box and
an NT4 box.  Both 95 and 98 boxes authenticate just fine.  My NT box gets the
above error message every time.  After reading the O'reilly book my question is
"if I am using encrypted passwords AND the private smbpasswd file AND my
95/98 boxes authenticate just fine, why doesn't the NT box authenticate
correctly
against the NT encrypted string in the smbpasswd file?"  This is driving me
NUTS!
The username I am using is the same on all 3 boxes, the smbpasswd looks correct.
The log files seems to be of NO help in determining why this NT box fails.  I
have
ensured that under network properties->services->NetBIOS Configuration shows
lana 0000 to be NetBT (NetBIOS over IP).  What have I not done or
mis-configured?
I really do not want to disable encrypted passwords, but I will if I absolutely
must.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

PeteC

; /etc/smb.conf
;
; Make sure and restart the server after making changes to this file, ex:
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

[global]
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
   guest account = nobody
   log file = /opt/samba/logs/samba-log.%m
   lock directory = /opt/samba/lock
   share modes = yes
   workgroup = WILLIAMS
   netbios name = STAT-JREITER
   security = user
   password level = 7
   browseable = yes
   status = yes
   user = pcharbon, root, jmarkuna
   hosts equiv = /etc/hosts.equiv.samba
   path=/export/home
   read only = no
   inherit permissions = yes
   null passwords = yes
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/opt/samba/private/smbpasswd

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750
   path = /export/home

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

Peter Charbonneau                                               Williams College
Office For Information Technology                        Jesup Hall - Room 112
Network and Systems Administrator                     22 Lab Campus Drive
(413) 597-3408 (phone)                                       Williamstown, MA
01267
(209) 391-9821 (fax)
Peter.Charbonneau at williams.edu