LDAP and smb

Wong Shin Neng wsn at sebasasia.com
Thu Sep 21 08:36:30 GMT 2000

Thanks again.  I did a little research on PAM.  It looks like a very promising way for authentication.  In fact, I didn't even know that most services on Linux uses PAM.  So far, the only service that I have implemented using LDAP is Qmail.  My LDAP server is OpenLDAP which I think has everything needed as an LDAP server in terms of cost, performance, scalibility and etc. It works very nicely and cleanly.  My next objective is to replace my LAN Windows NT server with a SAMBA server for File and Print service.  In terms of user authentication, I'll probably be doing what you've suggested.  That is standard UNIX authentication with SMB.  However, most clients are Win98 machine, therefore I've to think of SMB password encryption.  That is what is really worrying.  The SMB password file have to exist in order for Win98 client authentication.  Any suggestions?  Maybe I have to use the unix password sync, passwd chat, passwd program option in Samba configuration.  But it seem to defeat the purpose of a single point of administration and a single database.  Or do I wait for the next version of Samba?