Printing from Windoze...

Brad samba at capstone.net.au
Wed Sep 20 22:56:23 GMT 2000

Hi Tony.

No luck I'm afraid: Can't see the printer from Windoze and can't manually
map a printer to the share (lp). I can print an ascii test page from
printtool in X on /dev/lp0 OK, and I can print out man pages from the text
interface to lpr OK . I have set out the smb.conf and printcap files below.
If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Regards,
Brad

smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
        server string = Samba Server
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = No
        public = Yes
        guest ok = No
        writable = No
        printable = Yes

[root]
        comment = Root share - handle with care!
        path = /
        read only = No

There was also another section that I have tried both with & without:

[lp]
        comment = Local Printer
        path = /var/spool/samba
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        print ok = Yes
        printer name = lp
        oplocks = No
        share modes = No

printcap file:

# /etc/printcap
#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default 1
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\