guest access

Peter Bouton pbouton at mediabolic.com
Wed Sep 20 22:45:58 GMT 2000

Hello-

I am trying to allow anyone to access a particular directory on a Linux
box.  Chances are they are going to be a Windows user which will not be
a Unix user that has been added on said box.  That is, the Linux box
will have no idea who they are.  In smb.conf there is the line:

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
  guest account = pcguest

which I have uncommented.  Not clear on what they mean by 'must add this
to /etc/passwd'  after all the whole point is we don't know what the
user OR password is up front.

Anyone know what I need to do to allow anyone to connect and have access
to a particular public directory.

Thanks,
Peter Bouton