smbpasswd gives out of memory error

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Mon Sep 18 21:44:19 GMT 2000

I'm using the HEAD branch from a year ago (yes I know sorry about the
weird version but I don't want to upgrade to TNG if it's going to be
reworked, and a lot of the PDC functionality hasn't been integrated into
the stable branch yet) on DEC Unix 4.0F.

For one user (not root), smbpasswd works fine.  For anyone else, it
returns immediately with an "out of memory" message.  ("Immediately"
means right away even with the debug level set to 100).  Obviously I've
got a permissions problem on my hands but I'm having trouble tracking
anything down, it doesn't seem to be anything obvious like who owns the
binaries.  Perhaps a compile-time problem, I may have compiled Samba as
this user.  Can anyone tell me what kind of a problem would cause
smbpasswd to fail out with this kind of a message?

Thanks,
Tavis

Tavis Barr                           ,-~~-.___.
Senior Systems Coordinator          / |  '     \
Institute for Social and Economic  (  )        0
   Theory and Research              \_/-, ,----'
509D Int'l Affairs Bldg                ====           //
Columbia University                   /  \-'~;    /~~~(O)
212-854-9076                         /  __/~|   /       |
tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu     =(  _____| (_________|