Experience with switching from User to Domain login?

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 18 10:26:35 GMT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:

> So, have any of you ever attempted to phase in a change from basic user
> authentication to domain authentication?  Is the client-specific
> includes the way to go?  Or is there a better approach?

I don't think that there is anything that particularly needs phasing in.
If you check the appropriate sections of "Using Samba"[1] you should
find that most of the changes are either machine-by-machine setup
anyway, or are central changes which are non-disruptive to your existing
clients. Note that a Samba server running as a domain dontroller
operates in security=user mode, *not* security=domain (which is for
servers which will pass off authentication to a domain controller, not
act as domain controllers themselves).

[1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch06_05.html

(note that the text implies that Samba 2.0.x will not act as a logon
server for NT clients and that you need a development version from CVS -
if you ignore the warning and follow the instructions anyway then you
should find that you can join your NT clients to the domain, and serve
domain logins successfully, though many other domain controller
functions will not work properly).

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology