compile in support for them in smbd ??

SW Mooi Shuh.Woon.Mooi at nsc.com
Fri Sep 15 00:10:12 GMT 2000

Hi,

Got this error :
root at okeefe% smbclient //okeefe/swmooi
added interface ip=139.187.54.10 bcast=139.187.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
Password:
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a
Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

I read the Diagnosis, and seems like the cause
is this because my systems use the /etc/shadow file
for password.
>> - you have shadow passords (or some other password system) but didn't
>> compile in support for them in smbd

But I searched through and couldn't find information on how
to compile the shadow passwords in support for them in smbd.
Can someone please help ?
( Now that I know/suspect the cause, I wish there could be
  a link/write-up on "how to fix it" right beneath "the cause")

Thanks,
Shuh Woon