btrieve - unexpected agony

Lew Aubrey lew at aim-systems.on.ca
Fri Sep 15 02:43:47 GMT 2000

I am experiencing frustration with btrieve, similar to that being suffered by Jan M.; and I wasn't expecting it, because of the migration path taken.  Perhaps this can shed some light on the btrieve problem.

My client was happily using a btrieve application on a Novell server.  The server was old and finally died.  As the application is a real-time Quality Assurance process he wanted it restored as quicky as possible. So while waiting for the arrival of a Novell replacement, we restored the application on to a samba share running on SCO v3.2.4.2 with samba version 1.9.18p10.  The application ran perfectly for about 2 months.

Because of space and age (SCO) considerations, the btrieve application has recently moved to a Linux server (Redhat 6.1) with samba 2.0.5a.  An we are now sharing your pain, almost exactly.

I'm planning to research the changes from 1.9.18 to 2.0.5 and see if anything jumps out.  You may be more familiar with the older versions and if so, please advise me if there is something obvious (or if I'm wasting my time).

Good luck with this,

Lew