Experience with switching from User to Domain login?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Thu Sep 14 15:43:15 GMT 2000

Having had success with phasing in encrypted passwords using
"smb.conf.%m" includes, I am thinking of trying the same trick to begin
a switch from user login to domain login.  Since the primary Samba
machine is the one with all the nics, I intend that it should be the PDC
for the resulting domain.  A few NT machine are currently running in
their own domain, but that is using a name the is currently no
politically acceptable, and so needs to be changed anyway.

So, have any of you ever attempted to phase in a change from basic user
authentication to domain authentication?  Is the client-specific
includes the way to go?  Or is there a better approach?

Pointers to the obvious (like some document I haven't re-read lately)
would be useful, but I don't recall much, if any, discussion of changing
the authentication method once you've set one up.

David L. Kindred                           d.kindred at telesciences.com
Telesciences, Inc.
2000 Midlantic Drive, Suite 410            Phone: +1 856 642 4184
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054                     Fax: +1 856 866 0185