samba 2.05a on debian

Alex King alex at milton.king.net.nz
Wed Sep 13 21:10:14 GMT 2000

Yes, the potato (latest stable) debian package of samba will not run with
2.0 kernels.  I assume you are running the slink (previous stable)
distribution. There are three options I would consider, all invlolve using
the potato samba package (which handles W2K).

1. Upgrade your entire system to potato, then install a 2.2 kernel.  This
is probably the easiest, because the packaging system will tell you what
configs you need to look at and update.

2. Upgrade only the packages that are affected by the kernel change, then
install a 2.2 kernel.  This is a more conservative option.
You will need to research what packages need to be updated to handle the
2.2 kernel (there used to be a list on the debian web site somewhere)

3. Stay with the 2.0 kernel and all your current packages, but download the
potato samba source package and recompile it for your machine.  (I have the
idea that the package will cleanly compile on a slink system, but I don't
really know - you are on your own with this.)  You will need to work out
the debian compiling and packaging system (quite complex but very nice once
you understand it) and work out what development packages are needed to
compile it.  This option requires the most work, but is the most
conservative option.

I would reccommend the first option though, if you try to maintain an older
system you will run into other compatablity and security problems....