FW: multiple IP activities by nmbd, where there should be one?

Takeshita Shin (ALNA/EHL) Shin.Takeshita at us.bosch.com
Wed Sep 13 18:23:11 GMT 2000

Greetings.

I have recently upgraded our Linux Samba server from Red Hat 5.1 to 6.2.
Samba was working with 5.2, but has problems after the upgrade.
I sent this inquiry to Red Hat, and they suggested I try this route...

The Samba server appears on the network (Network Neighbors), but when
clicked, the reply of "\\\\SambaServer is not accesible" comes back.

I have performed the tests outlined on samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html
On Test 8, where "net view \\SambaServer" is typed in DOS Prompt, I receive
the error mesage: Error 54: The network is currently busy processing other
request......

When I type netstat -a | grep netbios on the Samba server, I get

tcp        0      0 *:netbios-ssn           *:*                     LISTEN
udp        0      0 xx.xx.xx.xx:netbios-dgm *:*
udp        0      0 xx.xx.xx.xx:netbios-ns  *:*
udp        0      0 *:netbios-dgm           *:*
udp        0      0 *:netbios-ns            *:*

where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of the Samba Server.
According to Samba (by John Blair), I am supposed to get

tcp        0      0 *:netbios-ssn           *:*                     LISTEN
udp        0      0 *:netbios-dgm           *:*
udp        0      0 *:netbios-ns            *:*

If I issue the same command right after I click on the Samba Server in the
NetworkNeighborhood window, I get a line like

tcp        0      0 xx.xx.xx.xx:netbios-ssn           yy.yy.yy.yy:zzzz
CLOSE

where yy.yy.yy.yy is the IP address of client PC and zzzz is what seems
to be an arbitrary port number.

My guess is that the extra netbios-dgm and netbios-ns is somehow kicked off,
and are occupying the port 137 and 139 to block the legitimate samba
communication.

Could someone help me fix this problem?