Changing unix passwords from samba

IT.Helpdesk at lincolnelectric.com.au IT.Helpdesk at lincolnelectric.com.au
Tue Sep 12 06:57:40 GMT 2000

Hi there,

Am having difficulties getting samba to change the unix passwords ie sync
passwords.
OS = HPUX 10.20
samba = 2.0.7

Have the following entries in smb.conf
[global]
        log level       = 2
        max log size    = 5000
        log file        = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        netbios name    = OURSERVER
        server string   = Samba %v on %L
        workgroup       = OURGROUP
        security        = domain
        domain  logons  = yes
        password server = ourpdc
        encrypt passwords = yes
        guest ok        = no
        username map    = /usr/local/samba/lib/username_map

        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program  = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat     =  *New*password:*  %n\r  *new*password:*  %n\r

[homes]
        browseable      = no
        writeable       = yes
        veto files      = /.*/
        delete veto files = no

When manually using smbpasswd as root the smbpasswd is changed OK but the unix
password
doesn't change.
When manually using smbpasswd as user the following error is returned :
added interface ip=10.2.2.2 bcast=10.2.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
Old SMB password:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was : ERRSRV -
ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup
are invalid.).
Failed to change password for user

If I turn debug on and check the output of smbpasswd as root there appears to be
no calls to the unix passwd utility - only smbpasswd.

Have I missed something in the configuration?

My ultimate goal here is to get the unix password to automatically sync to the
windows passwd when a user changes their windows
password on the client ie unix password changes without user having to log into
unix machine.

Thanks for any help

Richard Brodie