? Lan Manager for DOS ?

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Sep 11 13:44:10 GMT 2000

At 11:50 10/09/00 -0400, Charles E. Gelm wrote:
>Now: How do I configure Samba so that it can be used by
>a DOS workstation using MS Lan Manager for DOS using TCP/IP ?

As far as I am aware the key points will be:

1. The man page for smb.conf is your best friend.

2. Lan Manger for DOS doesn't (AFAIK) support WINS, so set your system up
to use broadcast name resolution unless you have a good dynamic DNS setup
(in which case you could use DNS to reliably get NetBIOS hostnames).

3. If you are actually doing a domain logon rather than just assigning a
workgroup, you should read the related documentation. These files come with
the Samba source code, and you can also find them in
http://us2.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/textdocs/ or any other samba.org
mirror. The specific ones you want are "DOMAIN*.txt"

4. DOS clients do not support share names longer than 8 chars, share names
with spaces (or some other forms of punctuation), or case-sensitive shares.
You may need to use name mangling (in smb.conf) to convert all filenames to
upper case for some applications.

5. Make sure you can assign addresses through DHCP and ping back and forth
before you even bother to setup Samba.

>Is this enough detail?

Yes, that was good.

--

Irony: Bill Gates claims to be making a stable Operating System,
and Linus Torvalds claims to be taking over the world.