smbmount on NT4 shares disconnecting randomly

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sun Sep 10 19:17:00 GMT 2000

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Matt Doyle wrote:

> I'm not that familiar with Linux I must admit, but I assume the messages
> you're after are in /var/log/messages?  The corresponding message for the
> input/output error is:
>
> "smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3"
>
> I also found these other messages in the log:
>
> "smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting invalid"

Yes, that is what I was looking for ... sort of. No other smb_* messages ?

> I actually found that doing a plain umount works fine!  Thanks for that - I
> no longer have to reboot each time. :)  It's just the smbumount that fails
> with the input/output error and corresponding "signal failed" message.

smbumount does some tests before unmounting, I think one of those accesses
the mountpoint which fails with an EIO.

> I'd actually already setuid smbmount - should I be setuid'ing smbmnt
> instead?

That is how I understand it, see the manpage for smbmnt.

> >A problem that 2.0.7 also has is that smbmount may terminate if the server
> >is rebooted. Also smbfs in most versions have problems with a process
> >getting a signal while accessing smbfs.
>

> So is this probably the reason for the disconnections?

It's probably not uncommon, but you should get a "caught signal" message.
If you don't get a "caught signal" then that is not your problem.

/Urban