sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.

Wade Burgett wadeb at ap.com
Tue Sep 5 23:59:08 GMT 2000

I had this problem at one point as well, and while I don't remember for certain how
I fixed it, I believe it was with the interfaces paramater in smb.conf.

eg for my server with too many local networks who unfortunately has to double as
NAT/Firewall.

  interfaces = 127.0.0.0/24 10.24.26.0/24 10.24.33.0/24 10.26.8.0/24 10.25.41.0/24

this is not a bad idea if you have to run samba with an inet connection, just don't
add the inet interface.  I think though, that even if you just expilicity state all
the interfaces on the machine that the problem will go away.   I think this is caused
by samba maintaining compatibility with the MS tcp-ip stack, which calls for all
broadcasts to be sent to 255.255.255.255 instead of the subnet broadcast address
(10.24.26.255 for example).

Gothchas:

I've whacked all the tcp ip info in this mail (other than the local interfaces)
because I'm paranoid.

Make sure to put in the localhost net in the interfaces statement, unless you have
multiple sambas talking to wins - see my note below (from an old problem).  SWAT only
runs where samba runs as well.

Samba

    this may be a bug, but when interfaces is not and is using a
non-local wins server then it tries to become a domain master browser on

the local-subnet first.  It fails because the wins server has already
registered itself on the remote machine as having that address.  So it
fails being a domain master browser and doesn't contiune trying (and
consequently doesn't register other interfaces with the wins server).
Cross-subnet browsing to this workgroup doesn't work.  Not totally sure
this is true in all cases.  I don't remember needing to change  this on
Greg's smb.conf, but it should be checked.
    Other than that, the other stuff you just turn on (all the master
junk) set the os level to 65 or more, add a remote browse sync to the
broadcast addresses you want to sync to, and direct to the wins server.

so this in smb.conf

        interfaces = 10.4.21.1/24
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins server = 10.25.27.1
        remote browse sync = 10.25.27.255 10.4.24.255
        invalid users = root

Wade Burgett
Burgett Systems
http://www.burgettsys.com/