Cannot copy files from Samba 2.0.6 to NT 4.0 (SP6)

rparker at VPR.net rparker at VPR.net
Tue Sep 5 14:29:12 GMT 2000

David (and anyone else)

Would you care to elaborate on item 4 (late model 3Com) from your message
below?

I have seen some 'strange' error messages as well, and following some of these
posts regarding network/hub problems I'd like to do a bit more
investigating. In our case, I often see a lot of the following:

[2000/08/31 14:25:07, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(191)
 write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 5: ERRNO = Broken pipe
[2000/08/31 14:25:07, 0] lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(606)
  Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. Exiting
[2000/08/31 14:25:20, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_data(415)
  write_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe

Is it possible (by cranking up the debug level) to find out
'which' client is actually having the problems?

I am in the process of tracking down and replacing suspect hubs
but this info (below) about possible problems with 3Com cards
is new to me. FWIW, I have 4 older Kingston hubs, a newer
Netgear hub, and have them attached to a FS508 Netgear switch (in
case there are known issues with any of them). My clients are
using older 10Mb/s Novell/Anthem compatible cards but I am in
the process of upgrading a couple of 'power users' to 10/100
(Netgear) and giving them access to a 10/100 switch. There may be one of
more machines that got 3Com cards (as either part of some
replacements, or they came pre-installed when the computers
were purchased).

Also, does anyone have a sense of whether the 'autosense' feature of
some hubs/switches is reliable in the sense that it really negotiates
sucessfully whether full/half duplex is set? (point 1 and 2 below)

Thanks,

Rich Parker
Director of Engineering
Vermont Public Radio

    	And it looks like there are a side-effect...

    	The things to look for are
    	1) ethernet cards set to a different speed as the hub
    	2) ethernet cards set to half/full duplex when the hub
    	   is at a duifferent duplicity (;-))
    	3) bad hubs
    	4) late-model 3com cards
    	5) bad routers.