sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Tue Sep 5 06:11:45 GMT 2000

[Robert Bartels <rbart2 at pop.uky.edu>]
> I'm trying to run samba but my log keeps getting filled with errors.
> xxx.xxx.xx.xxx sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast happens
> every few seconds...

I don't think this has anything to do with Samba.  It seems to be a
faulty TCP/IP stack on the machine whose IP you see.  (That or a buggy
switch/bridge, I suppose.)

You may be able to configure syslog to ignore these messages.  Probably
not, but check.  There also might be some kernel parameters you can
configure, depending on what version of Unix you are using.

Peter