smbd daemon not starting up

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Sat Sep 2 23:01:25 GMT 2000

[Ian Gillon <iangillon at hotmail.com>]
> My problem is that the smbd daemon is not starting up.

Running Samba from inetd is not recommended.  (Except SWAT.)  In
particular, nmbd can give problems when run this way.

> I have installed Samba 2.0.7.2 on HP-UX 11.00. Does anyone have this
> version running ok that can help.

What is 2.0.7.2?  Is that an HP-distributed version?  I am running
2.0.7 (compiled from source) on HP-UX 11.00 with no problems (well,
actually, I don't use it so there could be problems I'm not aware of)
and NOT using inetd.

I'll attach my startup script (copy this to /sbin/init.d/samba, make it
executable, and make appropriate links to /sbin/rc*.d/).  Note that you
may need to change the PID directory for your installation, as I don't
use the default.

Peter