Clustering samba?

Jeffry Smith smith at mclinux.com
Fri Sep 1 20:24:48 GMT 2000

I've clustered Samba (2.0.7) using Kimberlite, at :
http://oss.missioncriticallinux.com
(warning - I work for this company, I'm prejudiced)

You need to set up the files (except /etc/smb.conf) to be on a shared
SCSI disk, and make certain that samba is looking only at the floating
IP.

The only  problem I've had is during failover, where, if someone
tries to access the share while the system is failing over (node1
down, node2 not up yet), the client gives an error message ("host or
file not found"), but gives the same error message after node2 comes
up.  However, if the client accesses node1, the system fails, node2
comes up, and the client accesses, they don't get the error message.
I'm getting things set up to sniff the wire on this, see what's
happening.

If you want help, you can e-mail me, and/or join the kimberlite
mailing list from the above site).

jeff

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Waldron, Carl wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:14:41 -0700
> From: "Waldron, Carl" <carl.waldron at thinklinkinc.com>
> To: "'samba at lists.samba.org'" <samba at us4.samba.org>
> Subject: Clustering samba?
>
> Can you cluster samba using VCS, or some other clustering product?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl Waldron
> Sr. Integration Engineer
> ThinkLink Inc.
> 415-254-4952
> carl.waldron at thinlinkinc.com

> ------------
> Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
> Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a
> boat & drink beer all day.

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
smith at missioncriticallinux.com   phone:603.930.9739   fax:978.446.9470
Thought for today:  main loop n.

 The top-level control flow construct in an
   input- or event-driven program, the one which receives and acts or
   dispatches on the program's input.  See also driver.