Red Hat configuration troubles

Glen Lee Edwards glenlee at perluser.net
Fri Sep 1 02:37:31 GMT 2000

Hi Casey,

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Casey Machula wrote:

>Greetings
>
>I'm running Red Hat 6.2.  Both smbd and nmbd are up
>and running.  I can see my Linux box from PCs in my
>LAN.  Problem is, I can't access them.

Not sure what you mean here.  Do you mean by "I can't access them" that
you can't access your PCs from Linux, or you can't access Linux from your
PCs?

If it's the former you need to install the client rpm from RedHat,
samba-client-2.0.7-4.i386.rpm.  This will allow Linux to mount file
systems on the Windows machines.

If you mean the latter make sure you set up a login name and password on
Linux for the PCs.  smbpasswd <machine name>  and that you have
/etc/smb.conf configured properly.

Glen