Samba performance compared to Windows 98

Steve McClary scm at mrwassoc.com
Tue Oct 31 22:21:45 GMT 2000

I've had exactly the same problem - opening a 6 MB Access file from the
Samba server is an order of magnitude slower than opening the same file
from a Windows 95 (!) shared server. File copies are much faster from the
Samba server, as expected. Is there something about opening an Access file
that makes it so much slower than a simple file copy?

Steve McClary