Loosing mastership

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Mon Oct 30 22:05:26 GMT 2000

Up until recently if I did a "smclient -L server -N" I would see all
the systems listed.  If I went to a PC and opened "Network Neighborhood"
I would see the same list.  Suddenly, several PCs see real short lists.

A command of "smclient -L server -N" still shows the long list, but
a command of "smclient -L client -N" shows that the client PC thinks
it is the browse master for the workgroup.

I am running samba 2.0.6.  My config says:
    [global]
        workgroup = Ulticom
        server string = Spike [the Rugrats dog]
        log file = /var/samba/log.%m
        local master = yes
        os level = 45
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        domain logons = no
    [homes]

So, shouldn't "os level = 45" guarantee that the server gets control?

I was having the server loose control to another system until I created
a cron job that runs every 5 minutes checking the server to make sure it
thinks it is the master and killing "nmbd" if it is not.  This makes
the server become master again, however, some clients think they are
master, too.

How do I fix this?

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ       gary.algier at ulticom.com           +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033

            This space intentionally left blank by the censors.