What the #*$& did MS change this time?

Dwight Tovey dwight at micron.net
Sun Oct 29 16:39:37 GMT 2000

OK, I'm lost and asking for help.  I'll be the first to admit that I don't know
much about SMB networking.  I've been digging through the archives of this
listserve a bit and seen references to other people having similar problems,
but I didn't see any solutions.

At home I have a mostly working Samba setup:
  Machine 1) RedHat Linux 6.1 running Samba 2.0.7.  This system is my
             file/print server.

  Machine 2) Windows 95 that the family uses.

  Machine 3) My laptop running RedHat 6.2 and Samba 2.0.7.  It also has a
             couple of VMWare "machines" with NT4 installed.

My problem is with the NT virtual machines.  These "machines" are just copies
of each other with one difference: one is plain vanilla NT while the other has
had Service Pack 4 installed.

With plain vanilla NT, everything is working: I can get at the Samba shares on
both Linux machines, as well as any shares on the Win95 box.

Once I applied SP4 to the other NT machine, it could no longer connect to
anything.  When I try to connect using the Windows Explorer, I get a popup that
says:
  "Microsoft Windows Network: The account is not authorized to login from this
    station"

I've been going through the "DIAGNOSIS.txt" doc in the Samba distribution and
everything works up through Test 8: running the 'net view' command on the NT
box.  That gives me "System error 5 has occurred.  Access is denied".

I'm sure that I've got something misconfigured in the smb.conf (included below)
on Machine 1, but I'm at a total loss as to what it is.  The unpatched NT still
works, and the Win95 still works.  It's just the patched NT that is giving me
problems.  Did MS go and change something that will keep me from using it
to access my Samba shares?

I would appreciate any advice.

        /dwight
=========================================8<----------------------------------

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from mercury.tovey.net (192.168.68.2)
# Date: 1999/11/10 22:31:09

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = TOVEYNET
        netbios name = CRONOS
        server string = Cronos Master Server
        interfaces = 192.168.68.1/255.255.255.0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        null passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        comment = Cronos Master Server
        guest account = guest
        valid users = dwight, pat, greg, megan, guest
        hosts allow = 192.168.68.0/255.255.255.0 127.
        printing = lprng

[tmp]
        comment = Temp filesystem
        path = /var/tmp
        guest ok = yes
        user = dwight

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = %H/Public
        read only = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        print ok = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -l %s; rm %s
        browseable = No

---
Dwight N. Tovey                          Unix System Administrator / Developer
Effective Cycling Instructor #750-K-C    Idaho Transportation Dept.
Email: DTovey at itd.state.id.us            3311 W. State St.
   or: dwight at micron.net                 Boise, ID.  83702
(208)334-8166 / fax: (208)334-8121       http://netnow.micron.net/~dwight
---