bizarre solution to slow samba->win2k transfers

Bruce Rogers bruce at
Sat Oct 28 06:20:25 GMT 2000

Hi, I had the same problem as a few other people on this list, namely that transfers from a samba server (Redhat 6.2) to a win2k client were REALLY slow.  With a little bit of research I found out that individual block requests smaller than 4K ran plenty fast, but anything bigger was 20 times slower!  After reading plenty of people having problems on here, but no one having solutions, I was just about to give up and go buy a win2k server, but I decided to take one last shot at fixing the smb.conf. I finally did hit on a send/receive buffer size that made all the transfers run fast, but it's kind of odd:

        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        socket options = SO_RCVBUF=1
        socket options = SO_SNDBUF=1

I'm guessing when those buffer sizes get passed to setsockopt it decides they're silly and ignores them, and the internal default is magically fixing my slowdown problem.

If you can't find a better solution, give this a shot, it worked for me!


-------------- next part --------------
HTML attachment scrubbed and removed

More information about the samba mailing list