Slow Samba

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Fri Oct 27 21:55:32 GMT 2000

Clive,

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:46:57 +0100, Prescott Computing Services wrote:

>I have a Linux box connected to a Win98 machine both machines are
>fitted with 10/100bps network cards, and connected using a twisted
>cat5 cable direct.

>If I send a 13meg file to the Linux sever from the Win98 machine
>transfer takes about 4 min, if I get the same file from the Win98
>machine transfer takes about 6 seconds.
>
>It is clear from this that the transfer speed is not 100bps.

One of your NICs thinks it does not run full duplex (probably both set
to autonegotiation). Force both to full duplex.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.