"Network is Busy" Error Message

Stephan Duehr duehr at id-pro.net
Fri Oct 27 13:15:19 GMT 2000

On Fre, Okt 27, 2000 at 03:07:06 -0700, samba-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:37:56 -0700
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> From: "Steve McClary" <scm at mrwassoc.com>
> Subject: "Network is Busy" Error Message
>

> I have a Samba server on a Dell Poweredge 2300 running RedHat 5.2 . About
> 20 users, all on Win98, connect to  this server, most of them with mapped
> drives but not all. System has worked fine for over a year.
>
> Recently, many of the users (but not all) are getting a "Network is Busy"
> message from Windows when they boot up in the morning and try to connect to
> Samba share, though most of them don't get the message every time they boot
> up.  I haven't been able to isolate anything peculiar to those users that
> encounter the error, and it is erratic enough that I can't get it to repeat
> on any consistent basis. Usually, the user can connect successfully to the
> Samba share as soon as their machine finishes booting up.
>
> Can anyone help me with this error message and how to correct the problem?
> It only happens when the users connect to the Samba share, not to any other
> server (there are a few Win98 machines acting as limited-purpose servers on
> the network).
>

> For those of you following my issue, note that the problem persisted even
> after I enabled a netlogon.  I just reinstalled samba-2.0.7, and I'll see
> how that goes, but I have my doubts.  I'm beginning to think that it has to
> do with samba-sensitivity to network traffic or a flaky hub (even though
> the network doesn't have a heavy traffic load).

I encountered a similar problem. It appeared on some Win 3.11 Clients which
still had netbeui installed besides TCP/IP. The resolution was to simply remove
netbeui, which is not needed anyway if you hav TCP/IP installed.
--
Stephan Dühr <duehr at ID-PRO.net> (Support)
* ID-PRO Deutschland GmbH * Am Hofgarten 20 * D-53113 Bonn