Browsing samba on Nethood

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri Oct 27 12:22:56 GMT 2000

Venantius Kumar wrote:

> Hi everyone.
> I am a newbie to smb and samba.  I have 2 PCs at home
> and have connected via network.
>
> One PC is fully win98 while the other dual boots to
> Linux.  I wanted the win98 to see the Linux machine
> while running Linux on the Network Neighbourhood.
>
> I am running RedHat 6.1 with Samba 2.05a.  Now I have
> followed the Howtos and other help materials but I
> still can't see my Linux box on the win98 Nethood.
>
> Can anyone help me here.
>
> I also want to know how to browse the network to see
> all the win9x PCs on the network.  For instance, on a
> win98 PC all I have to do is click on the Network
> Neighberhood Icon and a window pops up showing all the
> PCs connected on the network with the prior knowledge
> of these PCs.

Double check that both machines are on the same network (meaning that
they have IP addresses and subnet masks that place them on the same
logical network).

make sure your linux network is actually up - ifconfig should help

you should be able ping from either machine to the other by IP

The workgroup= setting in smb.conf must be the same as the workgroup
setting on your win9x boxes.

you want security = user (default)

remove the semi-colon from the encrypted passwords option in smb.conf as
win95b and newer use encrypted passwords.  This will not break wfw3.xx
or any older win95 clients BTW.

Make sure the samba daemons are running -
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb status
if not then /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

make sure you have smbusers/passwords set up - see man smbpasswd

make sure you've logged on the win9x box with a username that will be
recognized on the samba box.

you can also use testparm and smbstatus as diagnostic aids - both have
man pages you can consult.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Rambo