Samba machines disappeared?

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Fri Oct 27 06:46:14 GMT 2000

Shayne,

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:04:45 -0400, Shayne Lebrun wrote:

>Came in to work this morning, and something wierd had happened.

>We're running samba on a linux box for file sharing.  Nothing changed
>on that box, in terms of software versions or configuration.

>Some machines, both 98 and 2000 professional can't see the machine in
>network neighbourhood, but can get to it manually.  Other machines
>still show up normallly.  Other machines, 2000 professional, can see
>ONLY that machine in NN.  Very odd.  Any ideas?

Additionally to what DCB suggested (check for unneeded protocol stacks
on the clients) you should check if your nmbd died. We sometimes see
this (according to nmbd's log file it terminated after getting a
SIGTERM nobody has knowingly sent). We now regularly check for
existance of 1 or 2 nmbd instances (it depends on your wins
configuration) and restart them if needed.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.