browsing across subnets

Andy Worthington andy at rockcity.com
Thu Oct 26 14:59:57 GMT 2000

I have changed around settings several times, right now each is the domain
master browser, local master and preferred, one is setup as the wins server
with all clients and the other samba server set to use it for wins.  In its
wins.dat file there is an entry for the other samba server and a client on
the other subnet setup to use it as wins but no one can see the second
workgroup on the subnet where the wins samba server resides.  From that
machine when I try this for the non-wins samba server:

smbclient -L server

I get this:
added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
added interface ip=192.168.3.1 bcast=192.168.3.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 192.168.4.1 )
session request to SERVER failed (Not listening for calling name)
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 192.168.4.1 )
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name)

192.168.4.1 is the correct IP for that server.

Any idea what to try next?

Thanks
Andy