logon errors, write_socket_data: write failure. Error =Brokenpipe

Lee Howard faxguy at deanox.com
Thu Oct 26 05:15:07 GMT 2000

At 03:24 PM 10/25/00 -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
>Lee Howard wrote:
>>
>> Well, the systems that are having trouble logging on are
>> Windows 98SE. But, on other networks I *do* have
>> WindowsME clients working and logging on perfectly fine.
>> So, I don't think that it would be an issue anyway.
>
>And you've ruled out network flakiness right?  mixed 10
>and 100Mbps?  faulty switch?  bad NIC on the server?

No, I haven't yet ruled out faulty hardware.  However, as this error has
occurred at some time in the last few months on each of the client systems,
and as there don't seem to be other networking issues (it also serves fine
as an ip-forwarding/masquerading server - internet gateway, http server,
ftp server, DNS, and mail server), I have a hard time believing it's
anything to do with hardware.

Yet, if there *is* faulty hardware, then the only thing I could conceive of
it being would be the Kingston 10/100 16-port hub.  Their network traffic
isn't very heavy at all, though.  All of the systems are using 100BTX
ethernet cards, and the wiring is proper, too (did it myself).

Once the logon occurs, there is no later "flakiness", either.  The only
problem is with the logon; after that everything's okay until (perhaps) the
next logon.

Lee.