How to hide shares for users that have no rights

Bruce bruce at toorak.com
Wed Oct 25 21:30:35 GMT 2000

Be very careful here. We found that the various variable are returned by the
different versions of windoze at different times. For example
Windows 98/2E and Windows ME (effectively the same) returned the %u (lowercase)
regularly while Windows 2000 Server DOESSN'T... Likewise, %U is not
returned by both 98/ME and W2000Server in such a way that includes's can
receive it.

Don't rely on WindowsME to get things right either... If you rely
on Machine type (%a) WindozeME returns Win95!!! (this may be a samba(2.07))
excuse but still.
Easy way to check your system
[home]
; comment Home directory for %u
  comment (a)%a (u)%u (U)%U (m)%M (I)%I
works really well. Look for the "detail" in the share listings.

Bruce