logon errors, write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Brokenpipe

Lee Howard faxguy at deanox.com
Tue Oct 24 20:13:41 GMT 2000

At 09:31 AM 10/24/00 -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
>Lee Howard wrote:
>>
>> I'm having authentication (logon) errors occasionally.  After
>> trying to log on for a few minutes eventually it will
>> succeed.  I'm using samba-2.0.7 on RedHat 6.1 (updated).
>> The samba logs look like:
>>
><snip...>
>> [2000/10/23 14:03:34, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(214)
>>   tomp (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service netlogon
>
>Lee,
>
>I wonder if you have 'domain logons = yes' but have not defined a
>[netlogon] service.

Quite right.  I use the domain logon feature simply for network diagnostic
purposes.  (It's very useful over the phone to know that the system is or
isn't "logging on" properly.  It saves me in phone diagnostic time.)  So, I
don't need a logon script or a logon service, I just need Samba to
authenticate the username and password for said diagnostic value.

This configuration (no [netlogon] service) is identical to that of many
other Samba servers that I have configured, and this seems the be the only
problem case (write_socket_data: write failure).  However, I have created a
[netlogon] service and a logon script for the server that is having
trouble, and I'll see how that goes.

Lee.