help...

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Tue Oct 24 18:26:07 GMT 2000

patthegreat at altavista.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I guess I should have been a little more clear in my question.
>
> We are running a windows network with a server appliance that runs linux.  the programs that lock it up are dbase (a dos data base program) and almail an email program both of these worked fine on when we used windows 2000 shared files.
>
> now the windows machines crash each time more than one accesses the same program.

I'm going to assume that you have samba version 2.0 or higher....

> here is my smb.conf file ... please explain what I have done wrong
>
> ;  Samba Configuration
> ;  Revision 1.0 for the 2700RJ, jdblair at cobaltnet.com 17.oct.98
> ;
> ;  DO NOT USE THE \ CONTINUATION!  THE QUBE PARSING CODE WILL CHOKE ON IT!
> ;
> [global]
>    alternate permissions = no
              This is a deprecated parameter. It  no  longer  has
              any  effect  in  Samba2.0.  In previous versions of
              Samba it affected  the  way  the  DOS  "read  only"
              attribute was mapped for a file. In Samba2.0 a file
              is marked "read only" if the  UNIX  file  does  not
              have  the  ´w´  bit  set for the owner of the file,
              regardless if the owner of the  file  is  the  cur­
              rently logged on user or not.
This should be set for each share, because it isn't a global option.  I would
remove it.

>    dead time = 5
good

>    default case = upper
why?

>    locking = no
bad bad

              This  controls  whether or not locking will be per­
              formed by the server in response to  lock  requests
              from the client.

              If  "locking  =  no",  all lock and unlock requests
              will appear to succeed and all  lock  queries  will
              indicate that the queried lock is clear.

              If  "locking = yes", real locking will be performed
              by the server.

              This option may be useful for read-only filesystems
              which  may not need locking (such as cdrom drives),
              although setting this  parameter  of  "no"  is  not
              really recommended even in this case.

              Be  careful about disabling locking either globally
              or in a specific service, as lack  of  locking  may
              result in data corruption. You should never need to
              set this parameter.

turn back to "yes"

>    map hidden = yes
       map hidden (S)

              This controls whether DOS style hidden files should
              be mapped to the UNIX world execute bit.

              Note that this requires the "create mask" to be set
              such  that  the world execute bit is not masked out
              (i.e. it must include 001). See the parameter "cre­
              ate mask" for details.

              Default:
                   map hidden = no

Unless you know you want this, take it out.

>    map system = yes
       map system (S)

              This controls whether DOS style system files should
              be mapped to the UNIX group execute bit.

              Note that this requires the "create mask" to be set
              such  that  the group execute bit is not masked out
              (i.e. it  must  include  010).  See  the  parameter

              "create mask" for details.

              Default:
                   map system = no

>    oplocks = no
Why?
       oplocks (S)

              This boolean option tells  smbd  whether  to  issue
              oplocks (opportunistic locks) to file open requests
              on this share. The  oplock  code  can  dramatically
              (approx.  30%  or more) improve the speed of access
              to files on Samba servers. It allows the clients to
              aggressively  cache  files locally and you may want
              to disable this option for unreliable network envi­
              ronments  (it is turned on by default in Windows NT
              Servers).   For  more  information  see  the   file
              Speed.txt in the Samba docs/ directory.

              Oplocks  may  be  selectively turned off on certain
              files on a per share basis.  See the  ´veto  oplock
              files´  parameter. On some systems oplocks are rec­
              ognized by the underlying  operating  system.  This
              allows  data  synchronization between all access to
              oplocked files, whether it be via Samba or NFS or a
              local  UNIX process. See the kernel oplocks parame­
              ter for details.

              See also the "kernel oplocks" and "level2  oplocks"
              parameters.

              Default:      oplocks = True

turn it back on.

>    os level = 1
       os level (G)

              This integer value controls what level Samba adver­
              tises itself as for browse elections. The value  of
              this parameter determines whether nmbd has a chance
              of becoming a local master browser  for  the  WORK­
              GROUP  in  the local broadcast area. The default is
              zero, which  means  nmbd  will  lose  elections  to

              Windows  machines.  See  BROWSING.txt  in the Samba
              docs/ directory for details.

              Default:      os level = 20

              Example:      os level =  65     ;  This  will  win
              against any NT Server

Do you really want your samba to be the master browser?  If you set it to be
master, and have your os level lower than another (possibly nt) server that
wants to be master, you will get a LOT of traffic on your network from the
constant elections.

Be careful!
>    preferred master = yes

read above

>    strict locking = yes
good, but conflicts with your no locking setting above.  keep this, and turn
locking back on.

>    veto files = /Network Trash Folder/
do you use netatalk too (ie, mac clients)?

> [home]
I don't think this share will conflict with your [homes] share, but I'd avoid
this share name, just in case.

> [kdps]
>   path = /home/groups/kdps
>   public = no
>   browseable = yes
>   writable = yes
>   printable = no
>   create mask = 0775
>   valid users = admin @kdps
>   force create mode = 0664
>   force directory mode = 0775
>   hide dot files = yes
> ;kdps END (do not delete this line)
> ;deskkit BEGIN (do not delete this line)
you're using an automated program to edit your config, huh?

Many of the things I've said above are directly from the manual.  run "man
smb.conf" and read the entire manual.  You'll thank me.

And remember, a lot of people would've just said "Read the F***ing Manual", but
I took the time.  Most won't.  Do yourself a favor and don't depend too much on
others.

I'm attaching my smb.conf for you to take a look.
--

Mike Fedyk                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Information Systems           to obtain a little temporary safety