newbie query on smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Tue Oct 24 17:56:24 GMT 2000

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, rahul kalaskar wrote:

> Using ssh to setup a secure tunnel and then using smbfs to mount a
> share through this tunnel.
>
> Does smbfs using a single connection or does it have a data channel
> and a control channel (like ftp).

It uses a single channel for the connection. The following works for me,
where the remote smb server is samba. The ssh server and the smb server
are not the same.

% ssh -L 139:smb_server:139 ssh_server

% smbclient -L localhost
(gives a list of remote shares)

% mount -t smbfs -o username=x,password=y,workgroup=z //localhost/share /mnt/smb
(the workgroup thing is just because the machines are in different
 workgroups)

/Urban