mount a NT partition (VMware!)

Sherman, Jay JSherman at DainRauscher.com
Mon Oct 23 18:55:12 GMT 2000

I have to second that plug - I also use VMWare, but the other way;  VMWare
for NT, running a Linux virtual machine on my NT 4.0 workstation.  We're
forced to use NT on the desktop for various maddening reasons, don't ask,
but I now have a fully networked Linux desktop running in a window at the
same
time.  I can share data to NT via Samba on the Linux virtual machine.  I
gave it 128MB (out of 256) and it runs very fast, crash free for weeks at
a time.  In fact, its never really crashed yet on me - it only goes down
when NT
crashes around it, and it's never been the cause of the crash.

I've got 2 virtual machines configured right now, one with a static IP
address
and one using DHCP for when I need to boot a quick Linux box for testing
or whatever. It just looks like your PC is booting in a window, then Lilo,
then KDE
and bingo, you have another Linux box on the network.

At various times I've tested installs of RH 6.1, mandrake 7, slackware,
and debian onto virtual machines.  Samba has worked fine with all
distributions I've tested in a virtual machine.

On Linux we're testing Sybase ASE, IBM DB2 (UDB) and maybe Oracle 8i soon.
It's very nice to be able to work in virtual machines on your desk to do
this stuff without having to spend time with dual-boot.