file locking problems on DOS app

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon Oct 23 17:37:15 GMT 2000

We have installed a Linux server (mandrake 7.1) for the first time in
one of our elementary schools.  The building was formerly Novell 3.12
and I and my supervisor have been attempting to stave off a total move
to NT.  This server is a pilot.

The problem I've run into is on a DOS application that is used with the
students to gauge and improve reading performance.  The problem is that
only one machine can run the program at a time.  It appears to be a
locking problem that is not present under Netware or NT.

We are using share mode security and default logins with no passwords -
these are 2nd to 5th graders.  The application is set up as a public,
writable share as it needs to maintain it's database of test records for
each student.  I tried several combinations of locking options this
morning.  The only one that affects the problem is share modes = no.
That will allow any number of machines to launch the app though they
also all crash if they try to actually do anything useful.  I suspect
I'd also end up with corrupted data files if I left it like this
anyway.  With the locking and share mode parameters set to their
defaults one machine at a time an use the app and it works fine.
smbstatus shows various DENY_xxx locks on several files that are opened
read/write.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks for the help.

--