file permissions and powerpoint

Ralf Gross Fa-STZ-Ralf.Gross at DaimlerChrysler.com
Mon Oct 23 12:50:09 GMT 2000

Hi,

we use a Sun Sparc E450 Server as Fileserver (Solaris 2.8). I recently
created a share for a project:

[share name]
        only user = TRUE
        printable = no
        comment = project name
        writable = yes
        force create mode = 0770
        create mask = 0770
        force directory mode = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        force group = sbw
        force security mode = 0000
        security mask = 0770
        directory security mask = 0770
        force directory security mode = 0000
        path = /path/to/project
        user = many userids
        public = no

A few days later, a WinNT  user discovered a problem with his powerpoint
files. He stored a pp file in the share and changed the permissions on
the file from WinNT (security box) to 700. The next day the file was
changed by some other user. He than came to me and asked how this could
happen.
Then I changed the file permissions on the file from the WinNT box to
700, and did a ls -l in the directory -> rwx______, but after opening the
file (just double click from the NT box), they were 770 (rwxrwx___)!
It seems that powerpoint is doing something very strange, like creating it
new file by just oping the file.

It think it's not a real samba problem, but maybe you know what
powerpoint is doing.

The problem does not appear with doc, pdf, txt ... files - just
powerpoint.

Please send me a CC of your answer, since I'm not on the samba list yet.

Thanks,
Ralf Gross

--
Ralf Gross
Steinbeis-Transferzentrum Softwaretechnik
email: fa-stz-ralf.gross at daimlerchrysler.com
GPGFingerprint: 2224 7AE1 D17D 668A DAA0  4095 E0A0 B653 E465 3C32
* Linux is like a Wigwam. No Windows, no Gates, and an Apache inside *